CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 28, 2014

We have a Kindergartener!

Dawson started school this last Wednesday. He has been waiting for this day for over a year now... possibly longer. He was up before I even had a chance to wake him up. He showered willingly, got ready, got his lunch packed, and put on his back pack. 

I should tell you that before he started school we've had lots of conversations about school. He chose to go only half day (which I was SO grateful for). They don't offer it unless you request it as a parent. Only 6 kids out of the entire grade are half day kids. I love it! I love that he will ease his way into school. 

We also had a back to school night. Before we walked into the school, Dawson said, "I hope she isn't scary looking..." I didn't know what she looked like, so I could reassure him that she wasn't scary looking. We had only heard about how wonderful Mrs. Bunn was. It's the same teacher that my nephew Carson had last year. We walked into her classroom and were welcomed with love and happiness. I filled out lots of paperwork while Dawson did things with his teacher. It was so cool. After back to school night we left and once we got home I started to cry. Just thinking of Dawson not spending all day with me hit me hard. I am excited for him to learn and grow, but it was going to be a hard transition for me. 
Here is Dawson in front of his locker at back to school night. 

Dawson asked what was wrong and I said, "I'm just really going to miss you all day."
Dawson replied, "Mom, it's going to be okay. I'm only going to be gone for HALF DAY! ..... (pause)... but then when I graduate, I'm going to go on a mission and will be gone for lots of months. Then you will really miss me. But, I will talk to my missionary president and I bet he lets me see you. So it will be okay mom. And then I will go to college and you will miss me even MORE. But I can call you." He ended it with the sweetest hug and kiss. 

My reaction.... more tears. First, what 5 year old has their life planned out??? Second, what 5 year old fixes all my fears in one message? Third, I'm just beyond proud of him and his ability to solve problems and make me feel like the bestest mom. He is such a sweet kid. He reassures me he's only gone for HALF DAY. lol! 

Back to his first day of school........

I teared up on the way to school. Then we parked and I watched him play on the playground until the bell rang. Then it happened......the bell rang. Tears came again. I took him to his teacher and he lined up. All of the sudden, they all turned and waved goodbye. It was such a bitter sweet moment. 
 Dawson was searching for me.... 
 and then he looked right at me to wave. 
At 1:00 Monty and I were waiting by the front office for Dawson. He came around the corner and gave me the biggest hug. He said he had the best day ever. They learned sounds to the letters, went to the library, he ate lunch in the cafeteria, 25 kids got stung by bees (3 in his class), saw the computer lab and music room, and played a game. 
I'm so grateful that I get to be Dawson's mom and get to help him grow and learn. I want him to stay little, but at the same time I'm excited to see him grow up. He is the sweetest and most happy little boy. He is going to do so good in school. I'm so proud of you Dawson! I love you!

0 comments: